There are a number of ways to keep your home safe from intruders — but did you know that some people miss the most obvious ones? Some tips can be easily overlooked, and in turn put your home and the people within it at risk! Here at Smart Vision Plus, we would like to explain what these tips and tricks are so you can make sure you are doing the absolute most for your home security.
Sometimes, faking it is the best way to keep your home safe when you’re away. What does this mean? Well, it means a number of things, including:
- Automated lights: Robbers will almost always avoid places that seem busy. When you have automated lights, you can set times for lights to turn on and off, giving your home the impression that someone is there when no one really is.
- Create a fake “treasure”: This may sound ridiculous, but mind tricks are extremely effective in a dire situation such as this. More often than not, robbers will want to quickly enter a home and just as quickly get out. Gather some fake money, useless keys and fake jewelry so the robber can think they’ve hit the jackpot when, in reality, they have avoided the real valuable stuff.
- Make some noise: Peace and quiet is the perfect scenario for a robber’s next steal — so do the complete opposite by creating a bunch of noise in your home. Before you leave, turn your radio and TV on to create the illusion of activity.
- Man’s best friend helps too: Regardless of whether you have a dog or not, leaving a dog bowl with some toys near your front or back door indicates to a robber that even though the humans may be gone, the potentially dangerous or loud dog from within is not!
Ramp Up Door Safety
The door is the gateway to your home, so you want to be certain that it is secure from intruders/unwanted guests. You can do so by:
- Adding a peephole: Would you open your door to just anyone? How about a robber or complete stranger? Most people would answer no, but not realize that by opening the door to anyone you’re putting yourself at risk for these occurrences! Installing a peephole is a great way to avoid this, as you can finally have the safety of knowing you are opening the door for people you trust and only people you trust.
- Lock your screen door: Not many people think of doing this, and it is understandable since it is a compartment that is easily overlooked. Locking your screen door may be the one thing keeping you from an intruder, however. This is because the more you have locked, the more time you have in a dangerous scenario to get help or escape.
- Chain locks are unreliable: It is important to note that chain locks help in giving one additional safety, but it is not recommended that you rely on just a chain lock alone. It doesn’t take much force for an intruder to break one, so make sure you have other locking measures in place.
- Change your locks keys: When was the last time you replaced your locks/keys? Does an ex or old neighbour still have a spare key to your home? When you can no longer trust someone to have access to your home, it is important that you replace your locks/keys. This will ensure that only you and the few people you trust will have access to your home.
We hope that these tips can help for when you want to keep your home and loved ones safe from the potential dangers of the outside world. With the latest advancements in technology, however, these tips just brush the surface. Here at Smart Vision Plus, we offer high quality Security Systems in Toronto that will give your home the extra strong layer of protection you need. Our products are highly affordable, and very reliable, installed by some of the most experienced people in the field. To find out more about how we can help keep your humble abode safe, be sure to call us at 1-833-880-4591 today!